Adult School Checklist
If you've never been to college, or started but never finished, this checklist is for you. Need to improve your skills or knowledge? Find a new career path? Try the suggestions below.
- Look into getting a General Educational
- Development (GED) certificate if you don't have a high school diploma; try searching online for "GED certificate" and your state's name.
- Research careers and the need for various jobs in the Occupational Outlook Handbook. Or, for an interactive tool, try our Career Search Tool.
- Use College Selector to find the right school for your career intentions.
- Get tips on Choosing a School.
- Check the Yellow Pages and ask employers to recommend schools that provide training in the skills you will need for the career you choose.
- Ask your employer if assistance is available to help you pay for school.
- Use the Scholarship Search to find scholarships.
- Apply for federal student aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- Get to know the financial aid staff at the school you plan to attend; they can help you with aid applications and explain the types of aid available.